EATGN is recruiting for the position of Coordinator. Please see details below.
Title of Position: EATGN Coordinator
Deadline for submission of application: 13 April 2018
Reports to: Line managed by the Executive Director (TJNA), with overall accountability to the EATGN Steering Committee
o The East Africa Tax and Governance Network (EATGN)
The East Africa Tax and Governance Network (EATGN) was formed out of a process that started in late 2009 and has been growing both in membership and activity scope. The Network seeks to increase stakeholder engagement and public debate on tax and governance issues in Kenya and across East Africa. The overall goal of the network is to “contribute to a just, transparent and citizen-driven tax system that promotes equality, participation and accountability in East Africa”.
o Tax Justice Network Africa (TJNA)
The TJNA secretariat is currently hosting the East Africa Tax and Governance Network.
The Tax Justice Network Africa (TJNA) is a Pan-African organisation and member of the Global Alliance for Tax Justice. TJNA was launched at the World Social Forum in Nairobi in January 2007. TJNA aims to promote socially just and progressive taxation systems in Africa. It advocates for tax systems which are favourable to the poor and finance public goods. TJNA challenges harmful tax policies and practices which favour the wealthy and which encourage unacceptable inequality. One of the main purposes of the initiative is to mainstream tax justice in the economic policy and development discourse in Africa. TJNA provides a platform dedicated to enabling African researchers, campaigners and policy makers to cooperate in the struggle against illicit capital flight, tax evasion, tax competition and other harmful trends in tax policy and practice.
- Provide secretariat services to the EATGN.
- Represent EATGN at relevant national, regional, and international meetings.
- Fundraise for future EATGN projects in collaboration with the TJNA Secretariat and as approved by the EATGN steering committee.
- Coordinate EATGN steering committee meetings.
- Jointly with EATGN members develop mechanisms leading to the institutionalisation of EATGN.
- Develop an EATGN Strategic Plan.
- Work towards the recruitment of members from East Africa region.
- In liaison with EATGN members develop and Implement EATGN annual work plan
- Any other relevant task as may be assigned by the TJNA Executive Director or the EATGN steering committee.
- A considerable experience in development-related research in government, Non-Governmental Organisations or in a research institute environment.
- Sound and informed knowledge of development economics and the broader international development agenda and particularly in the East Africa region.
- A proven experience in writing policy briefs, commissioning policy reports and lobbying decision-makers will be desirable.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience in fundraising and management of donor funds.
- Great interpersonal skills.
- Atleast three years of experience in a similar position.
- A graduate level in any branch of economics, political science or related discipline.
- A post- graduate qualification in the same field is desirable.
- Previous engagement with the Network would be an added advantage.
- Documented EATGN processes and proper filing (both electronic and hard) of all main documents.
- Increased visibility of the EATGN.
- Sustainable and diverse funding for the implementation of the EATGN Strategic Plan in the medium term (2 years, 2019-2021).
- Steering committee up to date and involved in major decision making in line with the future direction of the network.
- EATGN constituting documents in place and in line with the members’ vision for the network.
- Strategic direction for the Network for the next 5 years defined.
- Notable milestones in EATGN becoming a true East African Network (at least 2 new members from each of the EAC member- countries by mid-2020).
- EATGN workplan for 2018 successfully implemented.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by 13 March 2018.
VA- EATGN Coordinator (pdf version)